In part 1 of this blog post we looked at planning and writing an essay or composition. We looked at the use of linkers and markers.
Introducing a point, Describing consequences, Giving more information, Introducing a contrasting point, and concluding. (Please refer to ‘Part 1’ )
In Part 2 of this blog post we are looking at :
Other Types Of Writing
In your professional life or in exams you may be asked to write a report, review, leaflet or article. Therefore I request you to consider the following:
* the target reader ( who you are writing for)
* the purpose your writing ( to persuade, report, inform, entertain, etc.)
* whether a formal or informal register is necessary
* if titles and subheadings are appropriate
Reports and leaflets need titles and subheadings and are usually written in formal language. Bullet points may be included.
Articles and reviews can be informal in tone, depending on the subject and readership.
explain the aims and objectives of the report
describe the method of finding information
summarize the results of the findings ( referring to diagrams/graphs/tables if appropriate)
make recommendations and conclude
These are some phrases to use in the paragraphs outlined above:
> The aim of this report is to…………
> The objective of our survey was to…..
> A sample of….was interviewed.
>…groups of people were targeted.
> The research was conducted using a questionnaire.
> The majority thought/said that…
> It seems that…
> It would appear that…..
> The graph/table shows that…
> From the data/diagram it can be seen that….
> A possible improvement would be…
> Changes could be made…
> Some recommendations are…
Good format and clear paragraphs make your work easier to read.
* do write the title of your essay at the top of the page
* don’t write everything in capital letters
* don’t start a new line for each new sentence
* do leave a line between paragraphs
* do avoid wordbreaks (= breaking a word with a hyphen when it starts on one line and finishes on the next) if at all possible
OK here are just a few more tips on essay writing skills. More to follow in part 3.
Thanks for your attention.
Good luck with your English language learning and your essay writing.