Words can calm a situation…like pouring water on fire. Or they can make things much worse ..like petrol on fire. Choose your words carefully and deliver them professionally and enjoy the results.
Learn vocabulary, expressions and phrases that help to resolve conflicts and misunderstandings. Saying the right thing at the right time and understanding both parties at the same time makes all the difference. Positive words…..positive results. In this class we can explore an extensive source of ways to communicate with the purpose of creating the perfect environment for negotiatons, resolving disputes and achieving resolutions.
Explore the language of compromise, assertive yet polite speech and expressions to use to show that you understand the other party’s point of view, even if you don’t agree. Negotiation is an art…”The Art of Negotiation” It’s all in the words we use. Preparing to Negotiate – Lack of preparation in a negotiation almost always sets a person up for failure. First and foremost, each party must clearly define their own goals and objectives.
Secondly, each party must anticipate the goals of the opposition. This may require doing some background research. Finally, each party must come up with various alternatives to their main objectives.
Here are some preparatory questions to ask yourself before beginning talks with the other party: ·
- What is my main objective?
- What are all of the alternatives I can think of?
- Why do I deserve to have my goals met?
- What will my opponent’s counter proposal likely consist of?
- How can I respond to this counter proposal?
- When would I like to have this issue resolved?
- What is my bottom-line?
- What market research/homework do I need to do to back up my cause?
- What is my bargaining power compared to my opponent’s?
- What do I know about the principles of negotiating?
We will explore all the expressions, vocabulary and intonation of speech to reach the objectives of this class.